Haas Automation Racing: Cole Custer Mid-Ohio Race Advance
Nov. 30, -0001
Cole Custer: Driver, No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang
NASCAR XFINITY Series Overview
Event: Mid-Ohio Challenge (Round 21 of 33)
Date: Aug. 12, 2017
Location: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington
Layout: 2.4-mile road course
Cole Custer Notes of Interest
● The Mid-Ohio Challenge will mark Custer’s 26th career NASCAR XFINITY Series start and his first XFINITY Series start at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington.
● Custer’s best finish in the 20 XFINITY Series races run this season is fourth, earned June 3 at Dover (Del.) International Speedway. It was his 11th top-10 and fifth top-five and it equaled his career-best finish.
● Custer’s best qualifying effort in the 20 XFINITY Series races run this season is third, earned twice – April 22 at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway and June 10 at Pocono (Pa.) Raceway. Custer has 13 top-10 starts and four top-five starts this season.
● Last week, Custer ran his career-first XFINITY Series road-course race at Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International. He ran as high as second, turning consistent top-five lap speeds.
● Custer has earned four top-five finishes, nine top-10s and has led 29 laps so far in the 2017 XFINITY Series season.
● Custer is second in the XFINITY Series Rookie of the Year standings, 59 points behind leader William Byron.
● Custer has earned six Rookie of the Race awards this season. Rookie of the Race awards are given to the highest-finishing XFINITY Series rookie at each race.
● Custer is sixth in the XFINITY Series driver standings, 229 points behind series leader Elliott Sadler.
● This will be Stewart-Haas Racing’s second XFINITY Series road-course race.
Cole Custer, Driver of the No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang
What was it like testing at Mid-Ohio?
“I think the test went fairly well. It’s hard to tell because it’s a different kind of car and everything, but I thought it was a fun place to run around. I can’t wait to hit the track with my Haas Automation Ford Mustang this weekend.”
Run us through a lap at Mid-Ohio.
“Mid-Ohio seems to definitely be one of the more technical places we go to, especially through the back section, so it will be fun to figure that out.”
Based on your performance at Watkins Glen, what are your expectations going into your second straight road-course race?
“I felt like we had pretty solid speed at Watkins Glen and we were one of the faster XFINITY guys. Hopefully, we can keep it in the top-five and be there at the end to get our first XFINITY win of the season.”
Jeff Meendering, Crew Chief of the No. 00 Haas Automation Team
What is your strategy going into your second straight road-course race?
“We didn’t get the finish we were hoping for in Watkins Glen, but I am very happy with the speed we showed in the race. Our team is going into Mid-Ohio with the confidence that we can compete for the win.”